I just helped with my first Pinewood Derby last night. I learned a lot about how it’s run, and I would do a few things differently. We already had some Speed Racer decorations from a previous race, so I just supplemented by printing verymom.com’s signs, certificates from SugarBeeCrafts, modified car inspection lists from scoutlander.com, and these rules that we changed to be our own. Gratefully we didn’t need to worry about a track because we paid someone to come set his up and run the whole race. It was such a blessing to not need to worry about that part!
I searched for ways to display the cars on the table in a simple, inexpensive way that also kept the cars from rolling. I found one online from derby stop, but our budget was limited. So, I made my own paper derby car display. It’s simple, which is what I’m all about right now. :)
- Print on cardstock, preferably white for photo opportunities
- Holds 3 cars per page, so print only what you need
- Score along the lines, and fold. The folds create a sort-of well for the wheels of the car
- Write in the numbers for the cars in the Circles
- Place wheels on the printed tracks in the wells of the paper
For more Pinewood Derby ideas, visit my Pinterest Page:
If you find this helpful, I’d love to hear about it. Leave me a comment below!